How to Protect Yourself and Your Home From Harsh Winter Storms
You think winter storm Hercules was bad? Minnesota has seen worse! Check out some of the worst winter weather conditions on record in Minnesota and find out what you can do to protect yourself and your home from extreme winter storm conditions. Minnesota winters can be some of the harshest and coldest in the country.
Rapid Restoration has seen it all, so check out some of our tips to keep your home and family protected from the freezing temperatures that have rolled in across much of the country.
First of all, don’t expect your car to start. That’s right, most cars will be doing the same thing as you should be during these extreme temperatures, hibernating. This means, if you don’t get the supplies you need in advance, you may be stuck without for a few days.
How to be Prepared for Winter Storms
Even if you have what you need, it can be difficult to protect yourself and your home from these extreme cold weather conditions. Follow these inexpensive and easy tips:
- Experts suggest running your water frequently at warm temperatures to keep your pipes from freezing.
- Spray foam can be a money and time saver in an emergency situation, especially with small leaks or gaps.
- When it comes to small areas, space heaters can also be a big help. They save energy and keep your furnace from overworking when weather takes a turn for the worst.
- Running special electric cables along pipe lines can keep your pipes from freezing.
- Keep a blanket, sand, and a shovel on hand when winter storms roll into town. Some suggest keeping these items in your car at all times, as well as making sure your gas tank is at least half full and keeping your cell phone completely charged.
- Keeping food and extra clothing in your car is another good idea with below zero temperatures on the horizon.
If you do have to go out, keep in mind that flesh can completely freeze within a ten minute time period with temperatures of -30. If conditions reach -50 below, you can expect to have 5 minutes or less for frostbite to start setting in.
Have Winter Storms Damaged Your Home?
When snow piles up, it can cause damage to your roof and home. Don’t get caught with a broken roof this winter! Rapid Restoration can help remove ice dams and repair any storm damage. If you find yourself faced with a winter emergency, don’t hesitate to give us a call at 612-294-0886! We offer a 24-hour emergency response team that can get to your home fast!