Summer Cooling Maintenance
As the heat of summer is just getting started, it’s important that our cooling systems are properly functioning during the summer months to protect against the high summer temperatures. While it’s important to keep air conditioners and swamp coolers functional during these months to keep your home cool, proper maintenance is important to protect against home disasters as well. Keep your air conditioner and swamp cooler functioning properly through proper maintenance each year.
Air Conditioning and Swamp Cooler Damage
Both air conditioners and swamp coolers need water to function. After six months of disuse during the winter months, sometimes things can go wrong when starting the system back up. If you haven’t had your A/C serviced this year, consider doing so to prevent problems in the future.
An unserviced A/C or swamp cooler can result in extreme water damage, leading to mold damage in the home. Both of these units are in less frequently traveled parts of the home, either the utility closet or on the roof. Because of this, there’s a smaller chance of finding the problem. Give yourself the peace of mind you need, get these appliances serviced on a regular basis to prevent problems down the road.
While it is good to have professionals check the air conditioning of your home, there are things you can do yourself to maintain and protect your home from faulty air conditioning.
- Check the outside of your A/C unit outside the home. Remove any debris surrounding the unit.
- Change the filter inside. This should be done on a regular basis.
- Ensure the access panels are all secured, screwing them in tightly after checking.
- Check the coils on the inside of the unit inside the home. Ensure the pans are collecting water properly.
- Clean out any debris found in the water pan. Check for rust or cracks in the pan. Any issue that can cause a leak needs to be addressed.
- Check the water line connection.
- Check the float. Ensure this is functioning properly.
Summer maintenance of your cooling units is essential to prevent bigger problems down the road. Even if your A/C unit is functioning, there is a chance it could be causing damage if it isn’t properly set up. Watch for problems. If a leak is happening, address the problem as soon as possible.