Do You Need to Hire Professionals to Get Rid of Mold?

Oct 20 2022

There are a few reasons why you will want to get rid of mold as soon as possible. Mold can cause severe damage to the interior of your home’s surfaces and your health. There are different types of mold that can be more dangerous than others, but even the most harmless molds can cause skin irritation and respiratory issues, especially for those who have asthma. Toxic molds can cause serious health problems and neurological issues, so it’s best to be safe than sorry when dealing with any kind of mold. 

When your home is in more of a damp and humid environment, mold is more likely to grow in your home. There are ways to prevent the spread of mold, as it can grow quickly, however, it is better to call in a professional when toxic mold is growing in your home. Here are a few ways to know what types of mold are more dangerous and when you should call in a professional mold remediation specialist to get the job done correctly.  

Do You Need to Hire Professionals to Get Rid of Mold?Categories of Mold

It is best to become more familiar with the different types of mold, so you can determine if it is something you can remove yourself or if it is better to call a professional to do it for you. Mold is divided into three types of categories from the least toxic to the most deadly. Here are the types of mold you should be aware of: 

  • Allergenic – Allergenic molds may be the least toxic, but it can still cause irritation to those who have allergies or asthma. 
  • Pathogenic – Pathogenic molds can become more dangerous the longer you become exposed to them. It can eventually cause infection or disease and is especially harmful to those who have issues with their immune system. 
  • Toxigenic – As deadly as it sounds, toxigenic mold is the most dangerous type, so you should never directly come in contact with this type of fungus. If you know there are toxigenic molds in your home, call a specialist now and do not attempt to remove the mold yourself. This type of mold releases poisonous chemicals that cause severe health issues and even death. 

Exposure to some molds could be making you and your family sick. If you know exactly what type of mold you are dealing with or where it is coming from in your home, then it will be a lot easier for you to decide when you should remove it yourself. However, it’s always better to contact someone who has the right experience and tools to get the job done quickly, safely, and efficiently.

Types of Indoor Mold in Your Home

Before calling in a local professional, there are a few ways to determine whether or not you have a mold issue in your home. When you understand the texture and colors of mold, this can help you to know how harmful it may be. Here are the colors to look for and categories they are listed as:

  • Brown – Allergenic
  • Gray or White – Allergenic or pathogenic
  • Green – Allergenic or pathogenic
  • Blue – Pathogenic
  • Pink – Pathogenic or toxigenic
  • Black – Pathogenic or toxigenic
  • Orange – Toxigenic

Textures of mold can appear as fluffy, slimy, spongey, fuzzy, or grainy. There are millions of different types of species, but the only ones you should be aware of are those that grow indoors. Here are a few of the most common types to look out for: 

  • Aspergillus – Indoor mold that tends to grow when the climate is warm or damp. They are commonly found hiding in HVAC systems and are attracted to dust. The toxins they produce are poisonous to humans and can cause serious lung infections and health issues if inhaled. That is why you should never come in contact with mold without the right gear, such as face masks and gloves. 
  • Alternarius – This type of mold is allergenic and comes in colors of green, gray, or black. Even though it is one of the most harmless types of mold, it can still cause infections and allergy or hay fever symptoms. 
  • Cladosporium – As an allergen, this type of mold can cause serious allergy and asthma symptoms. The mold grows on living and dead plants, but if its spores somehow make it into your home, it can grow on damp areas. The mold is typically green, brown, or black.
  • Penicillium – Commonly found in water-damaged areas of the home or office buildings, this type of mold is used in food and medicine production to kill bacteria. The mold is produced as an antibody known as penicillin. If found in the home, it can cause asthma-like symptoms. 
  • Stachybotrys – Stay away from this one! Stachybotrys molds are extremely harmful toxigenics and need consistent moisture to grow. It is a dark greenish-black mold that we highly recommend not removing yourself. It may not be the most toxic mold, but it can cause serious issues, such as headaches, nausea, allergies, brain damage, cancer, and death.   

Spotting the Signs of Mold

Now that you know the different types of molds that are out there and which ones are worse than others, it may be easier for you to know what to look for. The best place to start is in places where water is common, like bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms, or basements. Here are some ways to know if there is mold in your home: 

  • If your home suddenly has a distinct smell that is musty, rotten, earthy, or stale.
  • Your family has health issues or allergy symptoms that include a cough, runny nose, or sore throat. Watch out for severe symptoms such as headaches, nose bleeds, vomiting, or other drastic health changes.
  • You recently experienced water damage in the home, leaky areas, or an increase in humidity. 
  • Mildew and mold loves wood and leather, so watch out for any discolored spots on your furniture.
  • If paint starts to look warped or wallpaper becomes discolored, there could be mold in your walls.
  • Check your A/C filters for any odd smells or signs of mold growth. Stay on top of replacing your filters consistently to avoid any future issues.
  • Spotted clothing can be an indication of mold in your home.

Mold can be sneaky and if you aren’t sure if it is possibly lurking in your house, call Rapid Restoration in Roseville, Minnesota for help. 

Why You Should Call a Mold Specialist

Don’t wait to take care of mold in your home! Be sure to take care of it as soon as you know about it. A specialist is just a phone call away and knows what to do in these types of situations. Here are a few reasons why you should call a restoration company instead of trying to get rid of mold yourself:

  • Mold can be very difficult to remove yourself. It is best to contact someone who has the proper tools.
  • They have the training, knowledge, and experience.
  • Specialists know how to prevent mold from spreading.
  • You will save more time and money in the long run.
  • Restoration companies are insured and licensed.

Hiring a specialist can be a wise investment. If you don’t know what you are doing, you can cause more costly issues and harm to your health. 

Do You Need to Hire Professionals to Get Rid of Mold?Time to Contact Rapid Restoration

At Rapid Restoration, we offer mold inspection, remediation, and removal in Minneapolis. We have all the right equipment, skills, and experience to get the job done, so you can enjoy the comfort of your home again. Contact us today for a free estimate!

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments